When we work with binary data we often use the dt command to group the bytes into meaningful fields, eg.
0:000> dt ntdll!_PEB @$peb
+0x000 InheritedAddressSpace : 0 ''
+0x001 ReadImageFileExecOptions : 0 ''
+0x002 BeingDebugged : 0x1 ''
+0x003 BitField : 0x8 ''
+0x003 ImageUsesLargePages : 0y0
+0x003 IsProtectedProcess : 0y0
+0x003 IsLegacyProcess : 0y0
+0x003 IsImageDynamicallyRelocated : 0y1
+0x003 SkipPatchingUser32Forwarders : 0y0
The problem arises when the library owner does not provide type information in the symbol files. We are usually left with a manual decomposition of the bytes in a binary editor (010 Editor has a nice template system). Wouldn’t it be great if we had some template system available also in the debugger? I have some good news for you: with the latest release of WinDbg we received a very powerful feature: .natvis files. There were even two Defrag Tools episodes dedicated to this functionality: Defrag Tools #138 and Defrag Tools #139. Let’s first analyze how the .natvis files are built, to later use them in our binary data analysis.
Continue reading “.natvis files and type templates in WinDbg”
In the last post I presented you my first WinDbg extension with a !injectdll command. Theoretically everything was correct, but after some more testing I noticed that the command is not always working as expected. Andrey Bazhan was pretty quick in pointing this out and advised me to use a remote thread, which, as you will see, is a much better approach. But let’s first have a look at the problems in lld 1.0.
Continue reading “!injectdll – a remote thread approach”
Today I have a pleasure to present you my first WinDbg extension lld 🙂 For now it contains only one command: !injectdll, which allows you to inject a DLL into the process being debugged. There is a similar command in the sdbgext extension, but it works only for 32-bit processes. The usage is extremly simple – just remember to load the extension in the correct bitness (32-bit version for 32-bit processes). Example session may look as follows:
0:000> .load lld
0:000> !injectdll c:\temp\Test.exe
ModLoad: 00000001`3f820000 00000001`3f924000 c:\temp\Test.exe
ModLoad: 000007fe`fd960000 000007fe`fd98e000 C:\Windows\system32\IMM32.DLL
ModLoad: 000007fe`ff410000 000007fe`ff519000 C:\Windows\system32\MSCTF.dll
(bac.5a0): Break instruction exception - code 80000003 (first chance)
00000000`778c7800 cc int 3
The binaries can be found under the release tab of the source code repository.
Continue reading “!injectdll – a WinDbg extension for DLL injection”
For some time I have been working on a monitoring solution for developers. Today I have a pleasure to announce its first official release. It is a set of tools which should help you better diagnose your applications. As there are many monitoring solutions on the market you may be using one of them (and that’s great). However, I’ve observed that it’s still uncommon for developers to collect application logs in one place. Therefore OPS monitor IIS logs and developers are checking application-specific targets. This is not the best approach as you can’t see at first sight if something is going wrong with your application. Few years ago I had an idea of an application board which will show statuses of applications on all the servers. This is one of the central part of the Diagnostics Kit and I named it the Diagnostics Castle. A sample board might look as follows:
Continue reading “Diagnostics Kit released!”
Few weeks ago my Remote Desktop Connections Manager started to report an access denied while trying to connect to some servers on my list, prompting me for a password. I was pretty sure the password stored in the RDCMan profile was correct, but didn’t really have time to investigate it further. Until today 🙂
Continue reading “Incorrect password in Remote Desktop Connections Manager (with some DPAPI insights)”
The next exercise on our path to better understand TLS will be a decryption of a network trace collected from a .NET console application. In the last post we examined a simple TLS 1.0 session. Today I would like to focus on the latest version (1.2) of the TLS protocol. The changes introduced by this version (defined in RFC 5246) included: support for authenticated encryption, PRF simplification and removal of all hard-coded security primitives.
Continue reading “TLS 1.2, AES-GCM and .NET network trace”
Recently I have spent some time on learning the internals of HTTPS. I wanted to know what makes it secure and how the communication actually looks like. Today I would like to show you the steps required to decrypt a sample HTTPS request. Imagine you got a .pcap file recorded by one of your company clients who complains that your application returned 500 HTTP status code with a strange error message. The client forgot to copy the error message but luckily had a Wireshark instance running in the background (I know it’s highly hypothetical, but just close your eyes to that :)) and he/she sent you the collected traces. Let’s then assume that your server has a certificate with a public RSA key and you are in possession of its private key. Finally the client was using a slightly outdated browser which supports TLS 1.0 (though I will inform you what would have been different if it had been TLS 1.2) and does not use ephemeral keys. My main point in writing this post is to present you the steps of the TLS communication. This post is not a guidance on how to create a secure TLS configuration, but a walk-through on how this protocol works and I will purposely use less secure ciphers to make things easier to explain.
Continue reading “Manually decrypting an HTTPS request”